Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wedding Wednesday: Rite of Marriage

Now that we had listened to the Liturgy of the Word, it was time for the Rite of Marriage!

For this important moment, our bridal party joined us at the front of the church.

My lovely girls taking their job seriously. Notice MOH L holding both my heavy bouquet and hers like a champ.
M's guys looking serious for once.


First, we had to state our intentions:

Have you come here freely and without reservation to give yourselves to each other in marriage?
 
 I have.

Will you love and honor each other as man and wife for the rest of your lives?


I will.


Will you accept children lovingly from God and bring them up according to the law of Christ and his Church?


I will.


Now it was time to exchange vows!

Since it is your intention to enter into marriage, join your right hands, and declare your consent before God and his Church.


We chose to do the repeat after me style of vows. Our priest told us what to say and we repeated it to each other. I wanted to do it this was because I wanted to actually say the vows instead of just "I do."

I, Matthew, take you, Jennifer, to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.



I, Jennifer, take you, Matthew to be my husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.


I look goofy in this picture because I am trying very hard not to lose it. I was so good up until the vows and then it just hit me! Half way through my vows my voice started cracking and I could feel the tears coming. I was staring at M willing myself to not start crying. My mom later told me that when she heard me start to lose it, she lost it and started crying. Good thing I couldn't see her then or I for sure would have been crying.


You have declared your consent before the Church. May the Lord in his goodness strengthen your consent and fill you both with his blessings.
What God has joined, men must not divide.
Amen.
With the vows over, it was time to bless the rings.


Lord, bless and consecrate Jennifer and Matthew in their love for each other.
May these rings be a symbol of true faith in each other, and always remind them of their love.
Through Christ our Lord.

Amen

Jennifer, take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.





Matthew, take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.


Since we were now officially married, it was time to do the paperwork. Our priest had our witnesses and us sign the license right then and there. Handy because we didn't have to remember to do it later, but confusing because I wasn't actually sure what name to sign! I ended up signing my maiden name as it was the one on the paper and I hadn't legally changed my name yet, so it seemed like the way to go.


I shudder to think how terrible my signature looks since I had to lean across and sign on that little rail.

The final part of the Rite of Marriage is the General Intercessions. These are prayers for various people and groups. The intention is read by a reader who then says "We pray to the Lord." The congregation then replies "Lord, hear our prayer."


M's sister read ours, which were written by our priest. This was one of the things I intended to do, but it slipped my mind until the rehearsal and by then I just didn't care anymore. Our priest did ask us for the names of any deceased family members to include, so they were personalized. I can't even remember what the intentions were, but suffice to say they were the usual ones and I had no problem with them.

Up next, it's time for Communion!

All photos by Amanda Fales Photography.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment