Friday, July 27, 2012

A Day at the County Fair

As I've said many times, my favorite part of summer is the county fair. So of course, I was excited to spend a day out there earlier this week. And I even snapped a few photos to share along the way.

It seems to be a given that whatever the weather has been like that summer up to the fair, you can count on the weather being the opposite during the fair. Sure enough, it hasn't rained all summer and we're in a severe drought, but the fair started and it's rained several times now. I made plans to go out to the fair with my mom on Tuesday while M was at work and wouldn't you know, it rained pretty heavily that morning.

Luckily, it was over by the time we wanted to head out and it didn't affect our plans for the day. Although it did get quite humid and that made things a little sweaty.

Our first stop once we arrived was the Rabbit barn. The Rabbit barn is my favorite animal barn because they're the cutest animals at the fair and the quietest. The Poultry barn next door was quite noisy!

I had a hard time not sticking my fingers into the cages to pet these fuzzy rabbits, but I managed to resist. Every year, I go through here and it always makes me want to get a rabbit.

We next decided that we needed lunch and walked along the food row trying to decide what wonderful fair food to eat first. We ended up going with our favorite local BBQ chicken place. I don't get to eat it very often and I was literally drooling when I smelled that chicken.

We then headed to the commercial buildings where various local businesses have booths. We didn't find anything interesting there, so we next headed to the Young McDonald's Farm. This is a small barn where a few mom and baby animals are displayed and kids (and adults) can pet them. I love seeing the adorable babies and this year I couldn't resist petting the baby miniature donkey.

Behind the barn is a display of various historic tractors, including this pink one!


We next headed to the 4-H exhibit building. Since I was involved in 4-H for 9 years, I love to look at all the projects. I wish I had taken a picture of this year's Grand Champion cake because it was gorgeous! I really hope the young lady that made it is going into cake decorating because she has real talent.

Once we had wandered around and seen all that we wanted to see, it was time to head for the grandstand. Our fair always has some great entertainment and seating in the grandstands is free with admission to the fair. However, that means you better be willing to spend some time sitting there saving your seat for a few hours before the show.

This year, we had Josh Turner. I love Josh Turner! So 4 hours before the concert was scheduled to start, my mom and I found some seats in the grandstands and settled in to wait. M and my mother-in-law were coming later, so we did get a chance to leave the grandstands and stretch our legs when they arrived. We even snagged some homemade ice cream from the Dairy Bar. Yum!


The concert was great and we all really enjoyed it. Afterwards, we grabbed elephant ears before heading home.

It was a great day at the fair and I can't wait until next year!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment