Monday, November 12, 2012

Vera Bradley Quilt Garden

Growing up in Amish country, I'm no stranger to the art of quilting. OK, I've never done it myself, but I'm used to seeing them everywhere & I've seen plenty of women in the area working on them. One unique way of quilting in this area is quilt gardens.

Scattered throughout the local area are 19 flower gardens laid out to resemble quilts. They are beautiful and it's fun to watch them develop as their plants grow and flowers bloom. Just driving around town, I have the opportunity to see several of them throughout the summer. But, one garden in particular is my favorite.

Every year, the local botanical garden grows the Vera Bradley Quilt Garden. It's inspired by the current breast cancer awareness pattern and a quilt designed by a local artist using that fabric. This year, the quilt, Star of Hope, used the Tea Garden pattern.

On my grandma's birthday back in August, we went for a walk at the botanical garden and I was able to get some pictures of this year's Vera Bradley Quilt Garden and I wanted to share them with you! Unfortunately, since I didn't know we were going to the garden, all I had was my phone camera, so the pictures aren't the greatest, but I think they give you a good idea of what the garden looks like.

First view of the garden across the lake

An up-close view of the flowers used.

The quilt garden from above
There are begonias, marigolds, geraniums, alyssum, and vinca all in the garden in addition to some evergreens and lilies. It really is quite pretty and I do see the colors of the Tea Garden pattern in this garden.

I'm excited to see what they come up with next year using the Ribbons pattern since it is my new favorite pattern!

 Photobucket

1 comment: