Friday, December 30, 2011

A Short Cut

Exactly one week from today is my birthday. It's kind of a big one. (It rhymes with dirty.) I've been dreading this birthday and waiting impatiently for it at the same time. I really have no desire to turn that evil age, but I decided awhile ago that I would grow my hair until that day and then I could finally cut it off and donate it.

I've been growing my hair for 3 years now and it is finally long enough to donate. Since I've had my hair long for so long, I think it will be a little emotional to cut so much off at once, but I think I'll get over it. I've been enjoying actually being able to do things with my long hair and trying new styles and I'll miss that flexibity, but then I remember all the hassle long hair is for me and I'm eager to cut it.

So why do I want to get rid of my long hair?

  • It takes forever to wash and dry. My hair is thick and it soaks up water. My showers have been getting longer and longer over the years and I use more and more water. And drying my hair is ridiculous. I try to let it air dry as much as possible, but now that it's winter it's cold and uncomfortable. 
  • Breakage and split ends - No matter what I do, I can't seem to get rid of the breakage and split ends. I even use shampoo and conditioner especially for long hair. I didn't have these issues with shorter hair.
  • It's a tangled mess. My long hair gets tangled and ratty so easily. If I wear it down for work, by the end of the day it needs combed. I comb my hair before I wash it and I can't get a comb through it when I'm done. I have to use detangling spray just to comb my wet hair.  I never have this issue with short hair.
  • If I don't actively style it, it just looks blah. Sure I can do some cute things with long hair, but I usually don't have time in the mornings to do those things, so I just brush it and go. And while I do have layers and it lays nicely, it gets boring and feel like I look lazy. 
So with my big appointment set for next Saturday, I need to find some inspiration for my new style. Of course, I turned to my favorite, Pinterest.

I'm not sure what the length will be because it will ultimately depend on where I need to cut to make the 8 inch donation. I'm hoping to end up somewhere between my chin and shoulders. That way I can go chin length later if I don't think it's short enough.

Source: google.com via Jenn on Pinterest


Source: hair2009.info via Jenn on Pinterest

Source: celebuzz.com via Jenn on Pinterest


Source: google.com via Jenn on Pinterest



In the end, I'll probably just show these pictures to my stylist and let her do her thing. She always has good ideas about what to do with my hair. In the meantime, I'll keep pinning ideas and getting brave for the big cut. I can't wait to show you what I end up with!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment