Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday Social

Sunday Social

If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Can I say chicken so that I can enjoy it all the different ways I like? Most of my favorite meals involve chicken in some form. Fried chicken, chicken fajitas, chicken tenders, buffalo wings, chicken sandwiches and chicken and noodles. 

What's your guilty pleasure/comfort food?

It changes depending on my mood, the season, etc. But currently, it's ice cream. I like a lot of different flavors too. My newest favorite is a regional brand called Hudsonville and their Cake Batter ice cream.

What's the weirdest/craziest thing you've ever eaten?

I'm kind of picky about foods, so I'm not very adventurous. The weirdest things I've tried were probably some things I tried while in France. Most of our dinners were already picked for us by our tour guide, so my choice was often to eat what was put in front of me or go hungry. Most of it I did like, but there were a couple things I have no desire to try again. One was veal. I did try it, but did not care for it at all.  The other thing was flan. The texture was just odd to me.

My husband thinks it's weird that I put mustard on bacon sandwiches. Personally, I think it's weird that he doesn't toast the bread.

What foods do you avoid at all costs?

Lettuce - It makes me gag. I've tried it several times and every time it makes my gag reflex kick in. And you can't sneak lettuce into something on me, I always taste it no matter how small the lettuce.A lot of people tell me that lettuce doesn't have a taste, but to me it has a very distinctive taste. So yeah, I don't eat salads.

Also, anything raw, anything with mayo, most beans, and peas.

What meal reminds you of your childhood?

It's actually a meal I don't eat, but Veranika always reminds me of growing up. Veranika is a German/Russian recipe that my grandma and aunt always made whenever our whole family got together for the holidays. It's a bit like ravioli but with cottage cheese in the middle and a white gravy (like sausage gravy) on top. My dad loves it. I like cottage cheese, but not in pasta and certainly not with gravy on top. My aunt always made some of the dough without the filling for those of us that didn't like it.


Share one of your favorite recipes and the story behind it.


I found this recipe for copycat Chick-fil-a nuggets awhile ago and gave it try. My husband and I love Chick-fil-a but the closest one is the next county over so we only get it when we're in the area. Plus, sometime I get hungry for them on Sundays. The recipe doesn't taste exactly like Chick-fil-a, but it's pretty close. I usually stock up on boneless, skinless chicken breasts when they are on sale and this is one of my favorite meals to make with them. We enjoy them with waffle fries for the true Chick-fil-a experience. And I discovered that Martzetti's Honey French Dressing is what Chick-fil-a calls Polynesian sauce.

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Lettuce?! That is so interesting! To me it doesn't really taste like anything. That is fascinating that it tastes so bad to you it makes you gag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo! I will have to check my grocery store to see if they sell that Honey French Dressing - We LOVE Chick-Fil-A! Have you tried their peach milk shake? SO GOOD! Smart answer for #1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lettuce?! I've never heard anyone say that before! haha love your blog, we should follow each other:)

    Shelby xoxo
    shelbychasingbirdies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. CHICK FILET is my FAVORITE!!!!

    Found you thru the Sunday Social! Now following you!
    xoxo,
    Tif
    Ramblings of a Southern Belle
    http://www.her-southern-ramblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't even get me started on flan. I told the person who forced me to eat it that I wasn't going to like it. But they wouldn't give up, so I finally just took a couple of bites to make them happy. I'm not sure if they were disgusted or impressed by how strongly my gag reflex kicked in!

    ReplyDelete