Friday, June 15, 2012

Freeky Friday: The Best Thing About Summer

It's Freeky Friday again!


Freeky Friday


What's the best thing about summer in your neck of the woods? Any fun local activities or traditions?
The best thing about summer in my area is what I consider both a fun activity and a tradition. It's the county 4-H fair!


Our county fair is the second largest county fair in the country. It's held every year at the end of July for nine days. It's full of 4-H projects, midway rides, grandstand shows, and delicious food. I look forward to it every year and I'm already excited for this year's fair.

My brothers and I were involved in 4-H for many years and our family business always had a booth at the fair while we were growing up. As a result, I pretty much lived at the fair as a child and teen. I know those fairgrounds like the back of hand. I loved being able to explore the fair, have fun fair foods for dinner, and hang out with my friends at the fair.

Unfortunately now, I am usually only able to get to the fair once or twice each year. Sadly, I cannot eat all of my favorite fair foods in one visit, so I have to pick my absolute favorites. I know for sure I'll be getting ice cream from the Dairy Barn and I think there's an elephant ear in my future, as well.

One of the best parts of our fair is the free grandstand shows. Admission to the shows is free with admission to the fair and every year we get some great shows. They are typically country shows and "oldies" artists. Back in the day, I saw Faith Hill in concert when she was only dating Tim McGraw. This year, I'll be seeing Josh Turner!

It's over a month away, but I'm already counting down the days until the best part of summer, our county fair.

What's the best part of summer in your area?


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment